b-hebrew - RE: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:17:05 +0500

You three are arguing past one another here. In English at least, any string
of characters or phonemes can be used as a name, but any name functions
within the sentence as a nominal or noun i.e. it will appear in a noun slot
e.g. subject, object, and not in a slot reserved for a verb or any other
part of speech. Very often that name will also have a meaning as a common
word - in English, most commonly a noun, often an adjective, rarely a verb
but why not? Or sometimes the word will be meaningless, at least within the
contemporary language - words from foreign languages are common, borrowed as
names rather than as common words. I like to think that any name has hidden
inverted commas around it, like a book title. In fact all names function
like book titles: we use all sorts of words and phrases as book titles, but
as soon as we add those inverted commas they can be used as nouns within the
sentence. On this basis, I would say that )EH:YEH is certainly a verb when
looked at within the inverted commas (and YHWH YIR:)EH is a complete
sentence), but looking outside the inverted commas at the structure of the
sentence, at least in the last part of 3:14 ')EHYEH' functions as a noun, as
does 'YHWH YIR:)EH'. I have a feeling we actually used inverted commas in
3:14 in our draft translation i.e. we wrote something like: "'I am' has sent
me to you".

Peter Kirk