b-hebrew - RE: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Peter Kirk" <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
  • To: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>, "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 20:10:07 +0500

Do I understand you as saying that the hO in EGW EIMI hO WN (not hO ON,
surely, in the standard transliteration, that W is an omega), the LXX for
Exodus 3:14, is a relative pronoun? Surely not, this is the article. If it
were a relative pronoun, this would read hOS WN if masculine, or possibly hO
ON if neuter. Anyway, I don't think you would ever have a relative clause
consising of only a participle, whereas the construction article +
participle is very common. A possible alternative would be EGW EIMI hOS EGW
EIMI, perhaps?, but not with hO unless neuter.

Now if your point is that hO WN functions as a relative clause, an
equivalent to hOS EGW EIMI, that might be a valid analysis of the Greek. We
had to do something similar, replacing the relative clause with a
participial phrase, in the target language I am working with, which does not
have relative clauses in the Indo-European or Semitic sense.

I like the Greek rendering of this used in effect as the name of YHWH in
Revelation 1:4 etc: hO WN KAI hO HN KAI hO ERCOMENOS, lit. "the being and
the was and the coming". The Greek is ungrammatical, but surely this is
capturing well the ancient writer's understanding of the Hebrew as original
as present, past and future.

Peter Kirk