b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: GregStffrd AT aol.com
  • To: dwashbur AT nyx.net
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 22:57:34 EDT

In a message dated 05/07/2001 6:11:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dwashbur AT nyx.net writes:

<< Excuse me? Dan isn't taking 'ehyeh as a nominal. His whole
point is that it's a verb, and hence can't be part of a verbless
clause. >>

He said he views the second 'EHYEH as a name, that is a NOMINAL. It may have
verbal associations, but it is a nominal. The same as the example I gave
concerning YHWH in Exodus 9:27. Are you reading the entire message? YHWH has
verbal associations as a proper name derived from HYH, but it is frequently
the subject or predicate of a verbless clause.

<< 'ehyeh is more than a word with a "verbal idea attached to
it," it's an actual verb. >>

I think you need to pay better attention to what is being discussed. In the
first instance Dan is claiming that it means "I am," acting as both the
subject and copula (or he gets the copula from somewhere else that is not
clear to me). He then views the second 'EHYEH as a ***NAME***. A name is a
nominal and, like YHWH, is frequently a part of a verbless clause. YHWH has
verbal associations, being derived from a verb, just as we could say of
'EHYEH ***IF*** we accept it as a name.

<<< By definition, this precludes 'ani 'ehyeh from
being a verbless clause. I get the feeling somebody missed Dan's
point here. >>>

It precludes no such thing when and if you offer 'EHYEH as a proper name; but
your feelings about missing the point are correct.

Best regards,

Greg Stafford