b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dave Washburn" <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 18:00:52 -0700

[snip]
> << If he intended to say what i think he is saying, how else would he say
> it?
> You seem to have the idea that "I am: I-AM" should be communicated in
> Hebrew
> with a "verbless" (!) clause like this:
>
> )aNI EHYEH
>
> OOPS! Big problem don't you think? Hardly a verbless clause, but just "I
> myself am...." Maybe you have something else in mind--i can't imagine what
> though. >>
>

> It's quite simple. You are taking 'EHYEH as a nominal, hence, the verbless
> clause would be perfect, even as we find in 'ANI YHWH. TBy verbless clause
> we
> do not mean that the subject or predicate does not have any verbal idea
> attached to it, but that predication is acheived without a verb (other than
> either the subject or predicate).

Excuse me? Dan isn't taking 'ehyeh as a nominal. His whole
point is that it's a verb, and hence can't be part of a verbless
clause. 'ehyeh is more than a word with a "verbal idea attached to
it," it's an actual verb. By definition, this precludes 'ani 'ehyeh from
being a verbless clause. I get the feeling somebody missed Dan's
point here.

[snip]

Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur
"You just keep thinking, Butch. That's what you're good at."