b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 18:35:49 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Trevor & Julie Peterson <speederson AT erols.com>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Friday, May 04, 2001 5:00 AM

> Just a couple of comments, since I don't think we're going to solve most of

Oops, you're correct of course! But how would that work in our context?
You're not expecting an infinitive for the name, i don't think; it must be
the finite verb. How would you subordinate it as a predicate noun/adjective
without an _)aSHER_?? That is the essence of my entire argument.

> Aside from that, though, I don't know that )a:$eR does
> nothing but subordinate in these instances. It tends to take on the
> function of a relative adjective "the one who ___." Regarding this, see
> below.

In English (and Greek), it's translated as a relative, yes. But i don't think
that is the essence of its function in Hebrew. It's so hard to divorce
ourselves from understanding grammar in terms of English or whatever target
language. I'm not accusing you of doing that here, but i think it's worth
thinking about.

> > LXX has "ego eimi ho on,"
> > which is "I am THE ONE BEING/EXISTING" or "I am THE BEING." How
> > does it take it as a relative? I understand it to not take it as
> > such, the _ho_ being the definite article. If they understood it
> > in the our traditional way, should we not expect something like
> > "ego eimi ho ego eimi" or simply just "eimi ho eimi" (cf. Paul in
> > 1 Cor. 15:10).
>
> "The one who is" is a relative construction. And when the universal
> relativizer functions adjectivally in Hebrew, it takes on a character not
> unlike a participle, in this case one used substantivally as translated in
> the LXX.

Yes, i accept this. After posting while going to bed last night i started
thinking about what i'd said about the definite article, and it was really
haunting me! It's a relative in Greek.

However, what i really should have emphasized (which is the reason that LXX
caught my eye to start with) is that the first _)EHYEH_ [trnsl. as _ego
eimi_] is not translated the same as the second _)EHYEH_ [as _ho on_], and
that the way of translating the 2nd _)EHYEH_ is the one repeated for the name
later in the verse [_ho on_]. The point is that they considered the name to
be only _ho on_ = 2nd _)EHYEH_, and they did *not* consider the name to be
the entire _)EHYEH )eSHER )EHYEH_. If they had, then they would have
translated _ego eimi ho ego eimi_, don't you think?

Dan Wagner

NetZero Platinum
No Banner Ads and Unlimited Access
Sign Up Today - Only $9.95 per month!