b-hebrew - Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Daniel Wagner" <dan.wagner AT netzero.net>
  • To: "Biblical Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: _)aSHER_ in Ex. 3:14 (was "I AM")
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 22:10:48 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: Peter Kirk <Peter_Kirk AT sil.org>
To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, May 06, 2001 11:10 AM

> Do I understand you as saying that the hO in EGW EIMI hO WN (not hO ON,
> surely, in the standard transliteration, that W is an omega),

Yes, i was being lazy using phonetic transliteration, but it does make things
confusing in this text.

Thanks; you're correct. What i had originally said was:

> > which is "I am THE ONE BEING/EXISTING" or "I am THE BEING." How
> > does it take it as a relative? I understand it to not take it as
> > such, the _ho_ being the definite article.

...and that was correct. My original gut feeling was correct, and i was not
very careful when i reconsidered.

> A possible alternative would be EGW EIMI hOS EGW
> EIMI, perhaps?, but not with hO unless neuter.

Yes, that is preferred, although in theory both might be possible, either
with _hos_ translated as "I am WHO i am" or with _ho_ "I am WHAT i am"?
Either could work as a translation for the standard view of the Hebrew,
though the context gives focus on the person's identification rather than
attributes/characteristics.

> Now if your point is that hO WN functions as a relative clause, an
> equivalent to hOS EGW EIMI, that might be a valid analysis of the Greek.
[snip]

I'll confess i was not thinking that, but interesting. Maybe this is what
Trevor Peterson was thinking?

> I like the Greek rendering of this used in effect as the name of YHWH in
> Revelation 1:4 etc: hO WN KAI hO HN KAI hO ERCOMENOS, lit. "the being and
> the was and the coming". The Greek is ungrammatical, but surely this is
> capturing well the ancient writer's understanding of the Hebrew as original
> as present, past and future.

I'd never thought of the grammar of this verse that way before. This is
interesting too.

I'll post another on this thread which gets back to the Hebrew and the key
argument i'm making (although i think LXX supports my understanding of the
Hebrew by translating the two _)EHYEH_'s differently, and only the second of
them as the name). I'm interested if you have any thoughts on my main point
of argument here.

Dan Wagner

> Peter Kirk

NetZero Platinum