b-hebrew - Dave Washburn's flame

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Dave Washburn's flame
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:34:18 +0100

At 06.30 17/02/00 -0700, Dave Washburn wrote:
>> At 23.59 15/02/00 -0500, Peter Kirk wrote:
>> >Have you read how Rohl to deals with the falsification (I assume you
>> >mean of his cnronology rather than of the standard one), which is in
>> >his appendix? Rohl is not irrelevant as he attempts to do just what
>> >you ask "one" to do. He may or may not be successful, you have no way
>> >to tell until you READ THE MATERIAL!!!
>>
>> There is no point, if the thesis has been falsified. How many times do you
>> want the basic ages in chaos theory falsified, Peter? I don't care if it is
>> Rohl, Velikovsky, James, Bimson, or anyone else. If the basic idea don't
>> work, it don't work, no matter how loud you or Rohl cry, "READ THE
>> MATERIAL!!!"
>
>Peter, if this doesn't make it clear that Ian just doesn't get it,
>then nothing will.

Ad hominem #1

>I suspect you and I have better things to do than put
>up with this kind of drivel.

Ad hominem #2

>Ian's approach is "I already know
>everything so don't confuse me"

Ad hominem #3

>and that's obviously where his
>comfort zone is.

Ad hominem #4

>He's not going to read the material, he would
>rather tout his ignorance.

Ad hominem #5

>Fine, I suggest that we let him and get
>on to discussing things with actual scholars.

Ad hominem #6

This post from Dave Washburn is nothing but a flame. There is *no* attempt
to further the discussion at all.

Could the moderators please do something about it? In the past when I
responded to this sort of stuff I was the one put on moderated posting, so
naturally I won't give Dave the response he deserves.

Dave has contributed *nothing at all* to this discussion except ad hominems
and rudeness. He has shown no willingness to put forward a serious case for
the stuff he has supported. He has shown no knowledge of mainstream
literature on the subjects covered by Rohl's popular book. When asked to
deal with criticisms of Rohl's work he gets all vague and has no response
except more rudeness. His posts on this matter can only be construed as
against the spirit mailing list etiquette.

Let him get away with this behaviour and he will only be more wilfully rude
in the future.

I think someone should withhold his pocket money for a few days.

Ian