b-hebrew - Re: Re[5]: FW: Just a clarification

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Ian Hutchesson <mc2499 AT mclink.it>
  • To: Biblical Hebrew <b-hebrew AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Re[5]: FW: Just a clarification
  • Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 00:36:45 +0100

At 16.43 20/02/00 -0600, Henry Churchyard wrote:
>But Velikovsky is most widely known for his theories of Venus being a
>comet ejected from Jupiter, and that kind of thing; so when you call
>Rohl "Velikovskian", it does seem as though you are tarring him with
>the brush of exuberant catastrophism on the astronomical scale.

The book, Ages in Chaos, which I actually once read, has little directly to
do with his catastrophe theory (it was a result of it!). The book puts
forward a revisionist chronology in a relatively provocative manner making
equations between Egyptian figures and biblical figures and using the
biblical chronology in some way as the measuring stick. This is exactly
what Rohl is doing.

In this situation Velikovsky is the father of the theory that Rohl is
developing. I see no reason to overlook this. It's like thinking of Allegro
as the writer of the book on magic mushrooms and forgetting he wrote a lot
of other interesting and provocative things.

Cheers,

Ian