permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Is This Aquaponics Then?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Is This Aquaponics Then?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 00:24:38 -0600

To answer "one very basic question", wether or not aquaponics is anaerobic.
Its not. This is a non-issue, a non-issue that has been addressed, before,
right here, and answered, too, right here. Let’s hope it is not a non-issue
question that revives its clueless head, here, yet again.

Pay attention, boys and girls, because aquaponics is NOT an anaerobic
condition, especially if the beds are gravel and flood and drain. In fact,
the drawing down of the water table results in highly oxygenated grow beds,
where the roots of the plants interact with the gravel in the grow beds,
where the bacteria and fungi reside. An extremely active bacterial and fungal
communities exist on the growing substrate. And the water, itself, is highly
oxygenated, with multiple points for oxygenation.

Root interaction with gravel is similar to interaction with soil, except
there is less work for the roots to do to access the nutrients. Same
bacterial communities, and by adding some compost tea t the recirculating
water, the same fungal communities.

Most people who do not like aquaponics do not understand it, and make simple
mistakes like thinking aquaponics is “anaerobic”, which could be proven to be
untrue with the most minimal of research. Aqaponiphobes tend to be afraid of
it because of exactly this, they have not done the research and find it to be
strange enough that it can’t be (insert arbitrary value, unrelated to
aquaponics, itself, here). This is the same lack of understanding and
research that biocharaphobes and methanophobes suffer from, too, a lack of
ability to understand the technology, a fear of the new and unknown, and an
unwillingness to do any basic research into the technology.

Again, if you don’t like/understand aquaponics/biochar/biogas, because you
disagree with it based on an inadequate understanding, then don’t practice
it. Fine.

But please don’t piss on other peoples work if this is the case.

_____________________________
Christopher Nesbitt

Maya Mountain Research Farm
San Pedro Columbia, Toledo