permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Is This Aquaponics Then?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lawrence London <lfljvenaura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Is This Aquaponics Then?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 18:04:58 -0400

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Scott Pittman <scott@permaculture.org>
wrote:

> Since most of our edible plants evolved from soil base.d growth, which is
> an
> aerobic condition, they have co-evolved with certain soil based
> micro-organisms. This condition is one that has provided the basis of the
> evolution of the nutrient content of most of our edibles. If we change
> this
> to an anaerobic environment it must surely change the relationship from
> aerobic micro-organism to anaerobic micro-organisms and thereby have to
> change or modify the nutrient content of the target plant.

There is a baseline of minimally acceptable aerobic conditions that allow
plant growth whether it be in soil or water.
Too aerobic in either, no plant growth, soil or water goes putrefactive
(think too much rain is low permeability soil).
I have never done hydroponics or aquaponics but I assume with both there
must be enough DO (dissolved oxygen)
to keep the nutrient medium, i.e. effluent/water with dissolved solids
aerobic. This might require air pumps and medium circulating pumps.
There must be many fascinatiing ways to do this without so much external
input, i.e. maintenance-dependant equipment and electricity.

New thought: Remineralization/mineralization of growth medium used in
aquaponics and hydroponics systems, i.e. the gravel or mineral aggregate
that the nutrient liquid flows through and is absorbed by, using a mix of
rock dusts from quarries and mined mineral amendments (azomite, rock or
colloidal phosphate, greensand, aragonite, high calcium limestone,
dolomitic limestone, humates(?)).
You can get superfine siltaceous fines from some quarries and larger grit
ones from others, more micronutrients in some than in others; a mix is
best. You can take the superfine and dissolve it in a glass of water and it
will turn the water milky for a while then settle out.
With remineralization in aquaponics systems nutrient deficiency on food
produced might become a non issue. I would put money on that.

LL

--
Lawrence F. London
lfljvenaura@gmail.com