permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Is This Aquaponics Then?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Steve Hart <stevenlawrencehart@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Is This Aquaponics Then?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2015 10:28:16 +1200

YEAH Giddaye Christopher Nesbitt et al. Excuse the delayed response..been
outa netzone in rural spaces.

Its a great site here that LL moderates and freely allows all conversation
un-edited. This is very valuable in itself. Its also great to hear people
vent their spleen, emotions and heart felt opinions. It is also valuable to
add to the debate for intellectual and professional rigour.

It seems it is also a site to offer vitriol, abuse and personal attack. I
could very easily do that too for I am equally equipped to do such as the
best. But perhaps, as said by many this shows poor and rather weak
intellect. So I will try to refrain from such retaliation.

It is great to see in this debate of the whole subject of whether
Hydroponics and Aquaponics has a place at all in Permaulture has expanded
to recognise the broader examples as is found in chinampas and some
integrated pond systems through SE Asia. But the original debate is about
H&A. My argument, like it or lump it is about the health value of such
produce fro H&A. As Chris rightly announces I have regurgitated this debate
after see a report of health effects of food eaten in prawn farms. LL seems
to be able to understand my issues but seemingly thats where the
comprehension stops. So I'm not sure I have the capacity or temperament or
patience to elaborate on my issues for those that clearly do not understand
that there exist critical health issues in artificial foods like that which
we do get as produce from H&A.

As much as I support Jason's views " It is better than fried chips and
sodies from the corner store though." Do we in our designs and
constructions and our consultations of advice want to offer a slightly less
healthier option. What we do by promoting H&A is promoting poor health. Our
challenge is obviously greater to find how food can be grown in true earth
systems not artificial systems. We know that composts of all nature of
recipes assist in stimulating natures dynamics and it is in my opinion that
this is where we need to travel in designing and building better solutions.
I have worked in "Food Deserts" and a number of other devastated 3rd world
environments so I am aware of the challenges. But lets not fall for a false
and simply answer which is not much better than fried chips and sodies from
the corner
store.
​...We need to challenge our selves or otherwise do a refresher PDC from a
reputable teacher and get the story right​ as Michael Elvin alludes to
getting the interpretation quite wrong.

As I have also mentioned in previous posts as Chris also reacts to. We have
over the past 15 years seen a severe weakening in the teaching quality of
PDC's perhaps this is another reason for some of the short sightedness in
the retort here. ..Steve Hart

On 6 June 2015 at 02:18, christopher nesbitt <christopher.nesbitt@mmrfbz.org