msar-riders - [MSAR] Re: tracking

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una@lanl.gov>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Re: tracking
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 11:51:53 -0700

Lois Guyon wrote:
>We recognized the need for MSAR training when we had an abducted four
>year old child. Untrained mounted units were about to go out when the
>word was received that it was too late. Had the mounted searchers gone
>out, there was potential for destroying evidence.

Lois,

I think you mean that if untrained searchers had gone out, they could
have destroyed evidence. (Very likely.) And many untrained searchers
were on horseback. Hence the need for MSAR training for at least some
of those searchers so that in future searches they will be assets, not
liabilities. Good idea. I take it they were "spontaneous volunteers"?

About turning untrained spontaneous volunteers into trained resources,
FEMA's Emergency Management Institute has an independent (ie, at home)
training course that you can download free: "Developing & Managing
Volunteers", IS244: see http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/priv/g244.htm
If you want credit for the course, go in through their home page and
register as a student then take the written test and mail it to them.
There is no charge for any of it.

Una Smith
Santa Fe County Sheriff's Posse, in New Mexico