msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: tracking

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: pennbo@bbv.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: tracking
  • Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 10:16:00 -0800

We use tracking all the time and several members are pursuing Man
Tracking from Horseback. We have 4 certified man trackers on our team
and most of us know at least the basics. (You get basics in NASAR SAR
Tech II training)

Last year we were looking for a lost hunter. My partner and I tracked
him. Right to the road where he was picked up by some other hunters in a
vehicle and delivered back to the CP. <G> Felt good to know we were on
the track and not too far behind him. This was some tough ground - rocky
stream beds, deep soft dirt hillsides. The hunter was nice enough to
leave us a clear footprint every so often and we used our knowledge of
the area to figure out his next moves. It was very satisfying. That
said- I need to know more- much much more!! And as soon as we are done
building our new house I will get started on teaching my mare to scent
track. Together those skills should make a formidable team!

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse
MSAR