msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New Member

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: MSAR Maintainer <msar@ibiblio.org>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New Member
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:06:36 -0500

Hi Tracy in northeast Kansas,

I maintain a directory of all MSAR units; it has none for Kansas,
but it is still under development, so there may in fact be units
in Kansas. I know there are many MSAR units in existence, not in
the directory; I have not yet found useful information for those.
(Hint, hint, folks: send me info!) The directory is here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/

As others have recommended, I agree: if you are not already an
experienced SAR responder, join an existing unit and work up to
building an MSAR team (a field team with a minimum of 2 riders)
within that unit or in addition to that unit. Building a whole
new SAR unit takes a *lot* of work. Some recommended reading is
listed here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/

By the way, how is SAR organized in Kansas? Several others here
have mentioned it is the responsibility of each county sheriff's
office...in their state. In some states (e.g., New Mexico), it
is the responsibility of a state-wide authority such as department
of public safety (police) or department of emergency management.

Una