msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Re: tracking

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Re: tracking
  • Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 08:05:05 -0800

Welcome to MSAR, Lois! And good for you for pursuing various skill sets. All fundamental ground SAR skills should be a part of MSAR training, and most transfer to the saddle nicely.

Man tracking includes searching for clues, so those skills should be applied every time you're on a call-out. Every SAR / MSAR should have at least Track Aware training. Teach your eyes to be looking, regardless if dismounted or in the saddle. Jack Kearney's book is recommended reading.  In some conditions, it is easier to track from the saddle than on the ground. Your elevated position gives you a different angle of view and you can see further out, or over the top of obstacles where the person on foot can't see. When necessary, dismount.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't track from the saddle - cowboys have been tracking cattle for many generations! Learn the skill on the ground, then transfer it to the saddle. If your MSAR unit is interested, there is a ManTracking instructor in NV who also offers tracking training for Mounted. Fernando's web site is http://www.nevadatrackers.com/  There may be others qualified in tracking who also offer training to MSAR.

Learn to pay close attention to your horse. Even with no Air Scenting training, with the flick of an ear, tilt of the head, etc., that mount will tell the rider when there is someone nearby. Very useful on a SAR.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
Tulare Co, CA
SAR, MSAR, Swiftwater Rescue, US&R,