msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] New Member

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Slybarbara@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] New Member
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 10:07:25 EST

Tracy, I would suggest doing what our two cofounders did.  They first went through ESAR training so they knew how to put others through training and how to meet the expectations of the SAR association which authorizes/oversees all units, training and missions.

To found the unit (in 1996) they worked with our county SAR association's certification committee.  They wrote up plans for training, researched other teams materials to choose by-laws, filed for nonprofit status and got ready for the 1st year of trainees (1997).

They recruited friends, family and husbands to do the 1st step in training, (horse & rider evaluation).  If memory serves me right, they ran about 50 persons w/horses through the horse/rider evaluation.  Those who passed that hurdle went on to 2 days of classroom training, one day on foot map & compass training in the field, one weekend of wilderness navigation with teams on horses and two weekends of mock search scenarios with trainee teams camping in a wilderness situation.  ESAR and 4x4 teams helped by lending radios and providing a few knowledgeable members to help with training.

We (I was part of the 1st class) graduated about 23 members, and there are probably 5 or 6 of us still active. I am VP, another is President, the others are OL's or TL's.  You'll find there's a huge attrition rate and every year you'll want to train 12-15 new members to keep the unit going.

 Check our website: http://www.nwhsar.org for info which is passed out to prospective members.

Good luck with your plan
Barbara Sly
Northwest Horseback Search & Rescue