baslinux - Re: [BL] wireless internet and ndiswrapper, was Re: scsi-framebuffer-usb kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wireless internet and ndiswrapper, was Re: scsi-framebuffer-usb kernel
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 00:28:16 +0000 (UTC)

To compile the network module rtl8180.o, which calls for 2.4 or 2.6
kernel, for kernel 2.4.31, I think I need to put kernel source into
/lib/modules/2.4.31/build (along with a .config file for the compiled
kernel I am using) or direct the Makefile to wherever I put it if not
there. (I put 2.2.16 source code in /kernelcompile so I could find it
easily). Then type 'make' and it should produce a module.

I probably also need kernel headers to compile anything with 2.4.31 so I
got those from SW10.2 (1.1MB download).

I installed kernel headers and kernel source and made symlinks as needed (to build) and tried to 'make' rtl8180.o and related modules.

It exited with a lot of warnings and then an error.
INSTALL says this will work with 2.6 and maybe with 2.4 but you will have to do a lot of hacking. The Makefile has separate sections for 2.6 and 2.4. I don't know how to hack it.

Has anyone tried Steven's 2.2.26 BL3.40 kernel or 'big kernel' and modules (probably usbcore.o usb-uhci.o or usb-ohci.o, scsi_mod.o sd_mod.o and usb-storage.o) with USB storage in BL2? My 2.4.31 USB-storage-capable kernel appeared to work in BL3.32 (modules loaded) but the USB memory stick was not found by the module, but actually worked in BL2.1.

Does USB-storage need glibc? I have glibc 2.2.5 in BL2.1.