baslinux - Re: [BL] wireless internet and ndiswrapper, was Re: scsi-framebuffer-usb kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] wireless internet and ndiswrapper, was Re: scsi-framebuffer-usb kernel
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 05:11:06 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006, sindi keesan wrote:

On Thu, 9 Mar 2006, David Moberg wrote:

Sheldon Isaac wrote:

Yep, with your kernel that uses the 2.4.31 stuff. But I guess your kernel is
smaller? than the 2.4.31 one that the DSL developers sort-of don't like
(they went back to 2.4.26 after some objections from users) because it
doesn't support some older hardware?

That would make sense. That would also explain why Sindi experienced
problems with a 720K floppy disk.
I am not sure what that problem was - things got sort of confused, maybe I
changed fd without unmounting, but I was at one point unable to umount the
fd or the hd and had to reboot.

I seem to be developing a hardware or possibly a memory problem on this computer. Mount is not working correctly. Things not in use won't umount, some things are listed twice, etc.

My cardreader works with your kernel on my other computer but on this one uhci says 'not accepting new address 2' '... new address 3' and usb-uhci segfaults, with your kernel and modules. With my kernel there is something about a kernel paging error and virtual address fffffffc - is this memory? The kernel panics and I need to power off. I will try memtest. Your kernel has built-in scsi, I am using my kernel with scsi_mod and sd_mod but I don't even get that far, uhci won't work.
I will try the one-floppy boot USB tomorrow.

A hardware problem is more likely since the board was given to us dead and we replaced 6 bulging capacitors. I am surprised it survived this long.
It plays DVDs okay though Fbdev and vesa act funny with mplayer.

The memory stick worked on this computer earlier today.
e2fsck found no problems despite frequent crashes.

The matroxfb problem is solved. 2.2.16 has a matroxfb, but 2.4.31 has several matroxfb modules that install sequentially - the ones ending in .o in /matrox.