baslinux - [BL] scsi-framebuffer-usb kernel

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] scsi-framebuffer-usb kernel
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 19:00:22 +0000 (UTC)

I have posted another 2.2.16 kernel identical to my older one that has scsi and framebuffer support but this one has scsi in the kernel instead of modules, for booting linux from a scsi drive.
http://keesan.freeshell.org/bl/bzimage.fsy (framebuffer-scsi-modules)

It was supposed to replace David's 2.4.31 kernel, for which mii.o network module is not working, for regular use. (I would still use David's kernel for usb storage).

We were going to try this kernel in a 'new' 650MHz motherboard which a list member kindly sent us, into which we put scsi card and 9G scsi drive, but it only boots when it feels like it, and then they keyboard stops responding after a while. It boots fine if you remove the PS/2 keyboard. If a USB keyboard is ever given to us we will use it with Steven's 'big' 2.2.26 usb-scsi kernel, which supports USB keyboards and everything else I can imagine using and is still smaller than a 2.4.31 kernel.

Another former list member sent SW10.2 so I ought to attempt to compile my own mii.o using the 2.4.31 kernel source which I hope is on CD-1.
Can I compile just that one module rather than make zImage make modules, using David's config file with mii set to module?

Running Linux claims the limiting factor in compiling a kernel is the amount of RAM and it will go slowly if you have 4MB or less but cpu speed is irrelevant. I think they got it backwards. It used 1.8% of my 256MB RAM and 93% of my 500MHz cpu. Compilation is twice as fast as on the 233MHz.