sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Biting Bullets

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Biting Bullets
  • Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 17:30:27 -0500

On 09/07/2014 05:09 PM, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> Am Sun, 07 Sep 2014 15:30:46 -0500
> schrieb David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>:
>
>> Agreed. We don't need to do anything other than put in a download URL,
>> they handle the mirrors for us.
>
> Yes, for the future. But when we prompt people to upgrade, perhaps by
> _first_ rebuilding their system after getting fresh sorcery for
> as-needed, it would be very helpful if sorcery would drop the dead
> mirror(s) without upgrading the grimoire. I am growing fond of the idea
> that it should be possible to do a clean rebuild of stable-0.60. What's
> missing is removal of bad mirrors (for sf.net) and addition of good
> ones (fallback mirror for everything). This can all be handled by
> sorcery upgrade, separate from grimoire changes. Dunno, perhaps we can
> redefine $SOURCEFORGE_URL in sorcery to do the right thing without
> modifying spells?
>
> Looking at my own pet (spell still using $SOURCEFORGE_URL):
>

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpg123/files/mpg123/1.20.1/mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2
>
> I see that this might ... not work. For now, the existing mirrors do
> the proper URL rewriting:
>
> Downloading source file mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2.sig
> --2014-09-08 00:05:38--
> http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mpg123/mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2.sig
> Resolving switch.dl.sourceforge.net (switch.dl.sourceforge.net)...
> 130.59.112.131
> Connecting to switch.dl.sourceforge.net
> (switch.dl.sourceforge.net)|130.59.112.131|:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
> Location:
> http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mpg123/mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2.sig?download&failedmirror=switch.dl.sourceforge.net
> [following]
>
> Hm, could it be that a fixed value of
>
> SOURCEFORGE_URL=http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge
>
> would just work™?
>
> Anyone against replacing the whole sourceforge mirror list with that
> one in sorcery and then phasing out the usage of SOURCEFORGE_URL, but
> not removing it right now, breaking old (stable) grimoires?

If it just works, do it. Any new updates to spells should drop the usage
of SOURCEFORGE_URL. Note it somewhere as deprecated. Perhaps there's a
way to have $SOURCEFORGE_URL be a function that complains about being
used, so it nags into replacing it? Obviously this function would always
return the above url, but after logging and being annoying about it.

--
David