sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Biting Bullets

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Biting Bullets
  • Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2014 12:53:13 -0400

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp> wrote:

SUMMARY

What I feel should be done;

- Everyone should move to as-needed aggressively; switch on as-needed
  and sorcery rebuild your systems

If we are going to rely on this, it should be pushed as the default in Sorcery with a warning if one wants to disable it.

3) We need to get the devel-* branches up to scratch so that we can get
them merged into master after a new stable-rc has been created. Whether
we all merge them at once and go for a big bang or whether we do them
one by one between successive stable-rc cycles we should still discuss.
What does it mean to get them up to scratch? The ABI incompatible
changes need to be identified and good UP_TRIGGERS scripts need to be
created as described above. Then upgrading from master to the devel
branch has to be tested on a few as-needed-i-fied systems and major
manual steps necessary to upgrade should be recorded.

I'd like to request that everyone who opens a devel branch create a bug stating why it was created, what is needed to get it merged into test, and the specific spells of interest. This will help keep everyone in the loop and allow other people to contribute. As it stands, I only really know what is going on in the devel-xorg branch because I've played around with it quite a bit. As an example: http://www.sourcemage.org/issues/423