sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Biting Bullets

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Biting Bullets
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2014 00:09:36 +0200

Am Sun, 07 Sep 2014 15:30:46 -0500
schrieb David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>:

> Agreed. We don't need to do anything other than put in a download URL,
> they handle the mirrors for us.

Yes, for the future. But when we prompt people to upgrade, perhaps by
_first_ rebuilding their system after getting fresh sorcery for
as-needed, it would be very helpful if sorcery would drop the dead
mirror(s) without upgrading the grimoire. I am growing fond of the idea
that it should be possible to do a clean rebuild of stable-0.60. What's
missing is removal of bad mirrors (for sf.net) and addition of good
ones (fallback mirror for everything). This can all be handled by
sorcery upgrade, separate from grimoire changes. Dunno, perhaps we can
redefine $SOURCEFORGE_URL in sorcery to do the right thing without
modifying spells?

Looking at my own pet (spell still using $SOURCEFORGE_URL):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpg123/files/mpg123/1.20.1/mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2

I see that this might ... not work. For now, the existing mirrors do
the proper URL rewriting:

Downloading source file mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2.sig
--2014-09-08 00:05:38--
http://switch.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mpg123/mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2.sig
Resolving switch.dl.sourceforge.net (switch.dl.sourceforge.net)...
130.59.112.131
Connecting to switch.dl.sourceforge.net
(switch.dl.sourceforge.net)|130.59.112.131|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location:
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mpg123/mpg123-1.20.1.tar.bz2.sig?download&failedmirror=switch.dl.sourceforge.net
[following]

Hm, could it be that a fixed value of

SOURCEFORGE_URL=http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge

would just work™?

Anyone against replacing the whole sourceforge mirror list with that
one in sorcery and then phasing out the usage of SOURCEFORGE_URL, but
not removing it right now, breaking old (stable) grimoires?

Alrighty then,

Thomas