sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Biting Bullets

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Sukneet Basuta <sukneet AT gmail.com>
  • To: SM-Discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Biting Bullets
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2014 18:56:48 -0400

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 5:17 AM, Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp> wrote:
On Sat, Sep 06, 2014 at 12:53:13PM -0400, Sukneet Basuta wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM, Remko van der Vossen <wich AT yuugen.jp> wrote:
>     - Everyone should move to as-needed aggressively; switch on as-needed
>       and sorcery rebuild your systems
>
> If we are going to rely on this, it should be pushed as the default in Sorcery
> with a warning if one wants to disable it.

I'm not sure a warning is necessary, it's not like it is any worse than
it is now, we've been "relying on our DEPENDS" tree since always. But
yes, I think it should become the default. Not 100% sure though where
the default is recorded, might be in sorcery or in archspecs, or both
even. And even if we make the default for it to be enabled, we still
need to inform people to actually enable it as just switching the
default will not mean that it will get enabled for everyone.

IMO, if we are going to rely on -as-needed to merge ABI incompatible updates into test, we should inform the user that we are relying on it for smooth updates and that disabling it may break things on updates. If this wasn't an issue, we'd just merge the devel branches into test without changing anything. But, anyway, that's an issue for later.

So, what is the best way to get the message out to Source Mage's users?