sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome vote results

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome vote results
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 15:55:20 +0200 (CEST)

:2009-10-08T08:06:David Kowis:

> Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik wrote:
> > :2009-10-08T10:30:Bor Kraljic:
> >
> >> - sometimes would be useful to have irclogs available online. just from
> >> #sourcemage other channels are mostly dead. I was on rockbox channel and
> >> then saw that they really have nice way if showing logs (
> >> http://www.rockbox.org/irc/ ) [maybe we allready have this but I just
> >> couldn't find it]
> >
> > I'm opposed to this. We have !menti which allows users to search the
> > logs which is more than enough for most needs.
> >
> > If we did publish logs we would need to notify each user that we do so
> > and where those logs are and possibly provide a way to have them
> > excluded from the logs.
>
> There is no presumption to privacy on IRC. If we log the channels (which
> are all publicly logged anyway,) and post the results, we don't have to
> redact anything. The responsibility lies on you the individual to not
> say something you don't want repeated.

Freenode channel guidelines disagree there.

If you're considering publishing channel logs, think it through. The
freenode network is an interactive environment. Even on public channels,
most users don't weigh their comments with the idea that they'll be
enshrined in perpetuity. For that reason, few participants publish logs.

If you're publishing logs on an ongoing basis, your channel topic should
reflect that fact. Be sure to provide a way for users to make comments
without logging, and get permission from the channel owners before you
start. If you're thinking of "anonymizing" your logs (removing
information that identifies the specific users), be aware that it's
difficult to do it well—replies and general context often provide
identifying information which is hard to filter.

If you just want to publish a single conversation, be careful to get
permission from each participant. Provide as much context as you can.
Avoid the temptation to publish or distribute logs without permission in
order to portray someone in a bad light. The reputation you save will
most likely be your own.

And also where exactly are the channels publicly logged? I haven't seen
any mention of them. If they are then we need to notify users. And yes
providing an option to filter users that do not wish their chats logged
is the right thing to do.

--
Andraž ruskie Levstik
Source Mage GNU/Linux Games/Xorg grimoire guru

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?