sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome vote results

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome vote results
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:58:46 +0200 (CEST)

:2009-10-08T10:43:flux:

> Let us not forget the venerable http://sourcemage.org/IRCQuotes

Users should be asked permission about that.

> Also, considering the fact that there are IRC chat search engines now
> which already do all the archiving, how much should we really consider

There was once some company that was secretly recording and publishing
channel logs through bots. They got k-lined from freenode.

> seems to me though that the freenode statement could only be taken as a
> suggestion though, since any user in our channel could be publishing
> their own logs on a website. The only control we could exert over that
> is banning the user from the channel (likely the reason freenode
> suggests getting permission from channel owners). However, if we are
> publishing them, we are the channel owners, so we have automatic
> permission.

We have no such permission from users.

> in the channel, or don't join. Nobody pays us for the services we
> provide, so we aren't obligated to kow-tow to anyone. If we decide to
> publish logs and someone doesn't like it, nobody forced them to join our
> channel and start chatting. Of course if someone volunteers to implement
> a method of not logging users, then that's fine, but it will take

It's already there. /ignore by the bot. As for removing from logs.
sed -i -e "s:<nickname>.*:REMOVED_BY_REQUEST:g"

I'm not simply talking about anonymizing but completely removing.

> number would matter for automated removal). Having the warning in the
> topic would let people know that joining the channel and participating
> in chats means they will be logged and published.

From a topic in #mer
"# " as prefix of a message makes it not log it

But I think it's easier if the logbot would have a !logme !dontlogme and
thus simply ignore the user completely.

--
Andraž ruskie Levstik
Source Mage GNU/Linux Games/Xorg grimoire guru

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?