sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome vote results

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik <ruskie AT codemages.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Tome vote results
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:42:11 +0200 (CEST)

:2009-10-08T09:31:David Kowis:

> I do have the facts right. I guess now we have an argument over the
> meaning of "publish."

Publish \Pub"lish\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Published; p. pr. &
vb. n. Publishing.] [F. publier, L. publicare, publicatum.
See Public, and -ish.]
1. To make public; to make known to mankind, or to people in
general; to divulge, as a private transaction; to
promulgate or proclaim, as a law or an edict.
[1913 Webster]

4. To utter, or put into circulation; as, to publish
counterfeit paper. [U.S.]
[1913 Webster]

That's what I'm talking about.

> Anyone can ask page_six for logs. Granted, they're pruned, but they are
> published to the person asking. They're not published on a website, but
> they are made available.

In a very limited capacity. But yeah this would possibly need it. I
would contact freenode wrt to it.

> Also, you have told me that scry maintains logs of the conversations in
> the channel. I even have a log of that conversation that I kept myself.
> If scry doesn't share those logs, then why does it keep them?

Used for generating irc statistics and for my own use to read through
anything I might need.

Personal logs are something different from public logs.
Personal most people have and don't share them. Public logs are those
logs that are available to anyone even those that were not part of the
conversation.

What I suggest as an alternative to publishing logs(other than meetings)
is to provide the solutions to the issues that get resolved on IRC on a
wiki page or some such. That way a person gets a more concise and direct
solution than reading through all the logs.

--
Andraž ruskie Levstik
Source Mage GNU/Linux Games/Xorg grimoire guru

Be sure brain is in gear before engaging mouth.