sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Testing of devel ISO 20080322

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Testing of devel ISO 20080322
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:43:08 -0400

Arjan Bouter (abouter AT sourcemage.org) wrote [08.04.11 05:46]:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 10:04:16AM +0200, Remko van der Vossen wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 09:50:36AM +0200, Mathieu L. wrote:
> > > links != lynx
> > > altough it doesn't matter which one is included as long as it can do
> > > https. If w3m can then so be it.
> >
> > I don't think it matters much which is included, but if w3m is chosen I
> > think it would be wise to default to the lynxlike keybindings instead of
> > the w3m ones, that's what most people are comfortable with.
> >
> > btw, I'm talking links-twibright when I say links.
> >
> > All of these can do https when compiled with support btw, so there's no
> > issue there. Both links and w3m do frames, links also does javascript.
> > Both w3m and links could do framebuffer graphics, but that's probably a
> > bit too much for the iso, at least for now.
> >
> > Remko.
>
> Personally I'd go for links-twibright, but that's probably because I use
> it a lot ;)
> But I agree with Remko, either one would be good.
>
> May I suggest to have it open with a page explaining the used
> keybindings? That would help out people who have never used it before
> and take only a tiny amount of space, compared to including the
> documentation. Just the basic and often used keys would be enough.
>
> Arjan

My reason for saying "lynx" instead of any of the other numerous text
browsers (nobody mentioned netriks? Or retawq? ;-P) is that anybody who
really needs some kind of web help (whether it's from a local html help
file or going online if they set up networking), it will likely be
someone who is coming from another distro. Even if it is not someone
coming from another distro, "lynx" is seen as THE text browser. No
matter what text browser you are used to, everyone knows lynx, and if
your preferred browser is not available, you will know to type in "lynx"
at the command prompt to get a text browser, and you will likely know
how to use it. If not, you can read the man page (man *is* provided on
the ISO).

I was going for using "the standard" to avoid confusion and whatever,
hinted at by the mention of listing what keybindings were being used ;).
Lynx is the simple answer here, even if it may not be the "correct"
answer (though everyone will have a different opinion on what is
"correct" anyway).

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage