sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Testing of devel ISO 20080322

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: flux <flux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Testing of devel ISO 20080322
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 17:03:34 -0400

Thomas Orgis (thomas-forum AT orgis.org) wrote [08.04.10 16:41]:
> Well, I repeat my suggestion to include openssh ... and remember trouble
> setting up network (dhcpcd couldn't create a directory in /var/run).
> Openssh and NFS mounts are important means to get stuff or information to
> the box at hand.
> It can always be that we need to get some stuff before booting into the
> installed system.
> I don't talk of ssh or NFS server, only client.
>
> I know that the ISO is mainly about getting a chroot untarred, but minimal
> console live-cd capabilities (shell, ssh, IRC, web browser) are just too
> useful to omit, IMHO.
> As long as we carry source tarballs around, ISO size is no compelling
> reason to omit these few MB.

In addition to ssh not being provided on the ISO, there are no IRC
clients nor web browsers. Are you also suggesting we provide these on
the ISO? Aside from having a minimal web browser for viewing html
documentation, I do not consider this necessary at all. It might be
helpful at a later time as an enhancement for people to get help with
installing the ISO while they are in the ISO, but I'd rather make the
ISO work well enough that no one would need that functionality first.

--
Justin "flux" Boffemmyer
Cauldron wizard and general mage