sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] netconf MAC setting change

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Thomas Orgis <thomas-forum AT orgis.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] netconf MAC setting change
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 15:01:54 +0200

Am Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:23:24 +0200
schrieb Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>:

> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 02:10:13PM +0200, Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 12:59:24PM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> > > Am Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:24:28 +0200
> > > schrieb Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>:
> > you _can_ _not_ use a volatile field as an identifier.
At least in theory, network scripts can keep track of their
renamings. They can store the "real" MAC behind the "now" MAC somewhere...

Fred is now called Karl.
Who is Karl?
The guy formerly called Fred.

> Agreed. Overall I'd say remove the MAC spoofing from our tools. Make our
> tools support persistent device naming based on MAC, and let the user
> deal with stuff himself if he wants spoofing.
My point. I didn't expect the MAC variable to change the MAC in the
first place.
It took me by surprise;-)

> MAC spoofing really isn't such a common use case imo, persistent device
> names are.
At some time in the past I was astonished that MAC is such an easy this
to change. Most ppl will consider it being some secret evil Hack3rz skill.

Thomas.