sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] netconf MAC setting change

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Flavien Bridault <vlaaad AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] netconf MAC setting change
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:08:57 +0200

Le mardi 20 juin 2006 à 09:06 +0200, Pieter Lenaerts a écrit :
> On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 12:14:29PM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> > My conclusion: The device renaming to eth0/1 fails because there is
> > already
> > a device present with that name (since kernel brought up both drivers
> > before the udev rules for sysconfig are executed).
>
> there's two things to do if we want to make this robust:
>
> 1. netconf should let the user select the right device_mac for the right nic
> from /sys info combined with lspci info if available. netconf is
> supposed to hide all ifconfig or udev complexity for the user.
>
> 2. mac2name has to become intelligent in its renaming tactics so that it
> supports renaming and mac changes at any time in all directions.
> this will require tests for it to find out the current state, the way to
> get to
> target state and (optional) triggering of udevstart at changes in device
> configs.

I just want to add that calling udevstart is definitely not possible
since it has just been removed from udev ;-) But there is certainly a
way to do the same with the current setup although I don't know it
--
Flavien Bridault

Disk, Graphics, Graphics-libs sections Guru
Source Mage GNU/Linux - http://www.sourcemage.org

irc: vlaaad
jabber: vlaaad AT amessage.be