sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] netconf MAC setting change

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] netconf MAC setting change
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:41:59 +0200

On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 11:01:40PM -0700, seth AT swoolley.homeip.net wrote:

snipping heavily

> If a user messes with a MAC outside
> of this framework, they are on their own, of course.
>
> This of course assumes that the driver is loaded and not reloaded (which
> would bring it back to its NATIVE_MAC state.
>
> That covers almost any situation and still allows it to be a flexible
> field. It doesn't allow duplicate names, nor duplicate MACs, but that's
> the flaw when you want both to be unique.

it's this (imo) abuse of the word "any" that we're trying to solve here. i
clearly interpret "any situation" differently* ;)

the implementation right now is a rough cut of what you describe.
it pretends to offer some advanced features but doesn't really. using
the mac will never work in "any" situation, exactly because we know that
we can't guarantee that we can track it.

anything that assumes that the user knows exactly when it will work but
pretends to work at all time is crap, must be removed from our master
branch and can return when we agree that it's ready.

ps: * : let's agree that we keep "any" within the boundaries of present,
working devices, so that noone starts throwing ridiculous reasons like
kernel configs or attacking martians at anyone (not esp. you, Seth, but
rather to all in the discussion)

--
Pieter Lenaerts
Source Mage GNU/Linux