sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] netconf MAC setting change

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] netconf MAC setting change
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:24:28 +0200

On Tue, Jun 20, 2006 at 10:08:57AM +0200, Flavien Bridault wrote:

> I just want to add that calling udevstart is definitely not possible
> since it has just been removed from udev ;-) But there is certainly a
> way to do the same with the current setup although I don't know it
> yet... :-/

right, iuso pointed it out to me as well, but as you say there's simply
another way to have udev resource it's rules.

there's been some more talk about the netconf/networking/device naming
stuff on irc.
the essentials:

1. using mac addresses or device names for reference is impossible since
both are volatile, and can be changed together at the same time.

2. this led us to think about a bus and id variable pair, uniquely
identifying the network devices. netconf could present the user with a
list of devices from /sys/class/net/ and automagically fill the variable
pair.

3. any changes to the network device files either with netconf or
manually can only be applied after a udev restart. this would be at boot
or at a '$ telinit run network restart'

please comment, all. network support is pretty important for our distro so we
wouldn't want any holes in the things we claim our configuration helpers
can do.

--
Pieter Lenaerts
Source Mage GNU/Linux