sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] netconf MAC setting change

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] netconf MAC setting change
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 09:06:50 +0200

On Sun, Jun 18, 2006 at 12:14:29PM +0200, Thomas Orgis wrote:
> My conclusion: The device renaming to eth0/1 fails because there is already
> a device present with that name (since kernel brought up both drivers
> before the udev rules for sysconfig are executed).

there's two things to do if we want to make this robust:

1. netconf should let the user select the right device_mac for the right nic
from /sys info combined with lspci info if available. netconf is
supposed to hide all ifconfig or udev complexity for the user.

2. mac2name has to become intelligent in its renaming tactics so that it
supports renaming and mac changes at any time in all directions.
this will require tests for it to find out the current state, the way to get
target state and (optional) triggering of udevstart at changes in device
configs.

--
Pieter Lenaerts
Source Mage GNU/Linux