sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SVN as p4 replacement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SVN as p4 replacement
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 21:52:54 +0100

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 03:07:51PM -0500, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
[...]
> > All I'm saying is that before we switch to anything, I'd like to know
> > that I can expect our own system to build it reliably in cases we care
> > about. This is currently not the case for subversion.
> >

> I agree that whatever we switch to must work, no question about that.
> However, I'm sorry so say that your experience alone is not
> representative. Relatively small but important part of the reason of why
> Subversion spell is more complex than average is that we want to
> preserve choice, and navigating that choice is not straight-forward
> sometimes.

Choice isn't the problem as long as _every_ combination of choices
builds. I have never been able to get a subversion install with
apr/apr-util, always had to go for apr0/apr-util0. No idea if this works
better now, but the subversion spell really breaks a lot - be that due to
apr changes, swig changes or subversion changes.
A regression test suite could certainly help here, we'd just need a way
to connect those spells. That would maybe also help without a full set
of regression tests, have a way to specify "this spell broke
$OTHER_SPELL on updates in the past, so test them when updating".

http://www.sourcemage.org