sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement was: Re: Grimoire Team Lead vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jason Flatt <jflatt AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement was: Re: Grimoire Team Lead vote
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:54:30 -0800

On Tuesday 14 March 2006 03:31 pm, Seth Woolley wrote:

> I suggest that only for systems that would have some movement around
> them. I was envisioning the case of a number of people who volunteer to
> help who are proactively advocating a particular platform. If that were
> to happen, then we'd probably want to give them due process of
> evaluation first (especially if they were consistent developers).

In this regard, I would also like to see some non-fanatics evaluating the
various proposed SCMs as well. I recognize the value of having proactive
advocates for particular SCMs putting it's best foot forward, but those who
are advocating a particular platform tend to gloss over it's weak points
(like myself w/Drupal -- everybody has their pet projects they like to
promote). Having some objective person or people invlolved would be very
valuable in having a clear idea of what we would be getting into with a
particular SCM.

> Stability of the Grimoire will always be more important than which SCM
> to use, to me. I can see myself devoting some time to the SCM issue if
> I see some actual action from others to help. Personally, the critical
> mass is nice to have before anything systematic like this is done.
> Typically when I start on a project, and actually start on it, I like to
> finish it, so if I do get into the state of "hey, we're switching",
> you'd likely see it done sooner rather than later. If nobody cared
> which one and just wanted to switch away from p4, I could have it done
> in a week, avoiding the evaluation projects. Of course, I might pick an
> old standby that nobody 31337 [elite] likes, like cvs. ;)
>
> Seth

That would be fine with me, since Drupal uses CVS for their SCM. It would
mean I would only have to learn one system. :^)

--
Jason Flatt
Source Mage GNU/Linux: Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.