sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SVN as p4 replacement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <swoolley AT panasas.com>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SVN as p4 replacement
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 11:45:25 -0800

Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
Seth Woolley wrote:

Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:

Seth Woolley wrote:

P.S. I'll note that any split spells in general are a PITA because

Subversion is not a split spell AFACT. What do you mean here :-)?

Take a look at its dependencies.

Well, I created this spell, and I can tell you that it's not "split" in my book. Maybe we differ on what "split" means but then I'd assume spells like php and cyrus-sasl are also "split" because they have many dependencies. So I'm sorry to repeat the question, but what do you mean? Maybe it would help to post your compile log and subversion.p file first.
Thanks,

By split I mean stuff that could be compiled with one spell are split into multiple spells that need more enhanced relationships between them than normal dependencies. I don't mean subversion is a split spell, but its dependencies are complicated and have never reliably built for me (then again, in testing, I always test from scratch so developers often never see the failures I see first).

Things like apr|apr0 apr-util|apr0-util for example. It might not even be related to this as it failed on a compile error I didn't take a look into. In about five hours I'll have a chance to sit down and pull up the compile logs. :) If I remember correctly the problem wasn't in subversion itself, the dependencies failed for it long before it got to subversion itself.

If there's a way, as mentioned previously, to not require anything apache-related to build svn, I'd be greatly for that. It's not that they are bad coders or anything like that -- they are just bad architects for designing it the way they did. Fragility is never a good mark of a well-architected system.

All I'm saying is that before we switch to anything, I'd like to know that I can expect our own system to build it reliably in cases we care about. This is currently not the case for subversion.

Seth
--
Seth Alan Woolley
Software Engineer