sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SVN as p4 replacement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Woolley <swoolley AT panasas.com>
  • To: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • Cc: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SVN as p4 replacement
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 10:30:36 -0800

Personally, I refuse to use SVN anything or even apache-related until it can be reliably built from a fresh install on the first try. I tried it this weekend from the latest iso and it failed with what I figured were mostly stock/default answers. Granted, I didn't look at the failure, just noticed it and turned off the option that needed SVN because I didn't have time to dig around in a problem that should be fixed by now (as far as I know, I'm the only one filing bugs against the build process because the people maintaining these spells aren't uninstalling and reinstalling to test the dependency and build orders out and instead are eager to update the version, recompile in-situ and expect it to work for everybody). The machine that failed is behind two natting routers and a dynamic IP right now at home, so I can't easily say what the problem is at the moment, but it's on my list of "bugs to file", which are almost a dozen.

Seth

P.S. I'll note that any split spells in general are a PITA because until we had fancy triggering and dependency structures in sorcery there were too many chances for bad cases to develop -- perhaps it simply needs some more dependency or trigger information specified. In any case, this is a real problem that needs real solutions. The split spells perhaps need their own specially-made regression tests.

Mathieu L. wrote:
Hi,
it seems to me that Pieter answered all questions like "how to do X with
svn?" that were asked and plus we now have the wiki page to recall those
answers.
Are there any more questions about how to work with svn?

If not, as I understood it, the problem left is the history of the
consequent mergings but some said it could be adressed with our own
HISTORY files system, what about that?

Cheers,
Mathieu

--