sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement was: Re: Grimoire Team Lead vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement was: Re: Grimoire Team Lead vote
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:23:59 -0800

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 09:32:31AM -0800, Andrew wrote:

> Bzr is pretty nice, looking at the competition it's definitly at the
> front of the pack right now. I was following their development for a
> while but stepped away for a while. The main issues I found with it
> boiled down to lack of a remote submits. They seem to at least have a
> push command now which might be enough to eliminate that issue. The only
> other thing that comes to mind is support for cherry-picking, but thats
> probably not an insurmountable issue.

I checked, bzr's cherry-picking is pretty lousy (they dont admit to having
it, but their merge command lets to take an individual change (sort of)).

It'll let you do it, but it wont remember that you've merged that change
on future merges (similar to svn I suppose). They worked around this by
making their merge algorithms not spuriously conflict if they find the
same change already in a file (this is something I havent ever seen svn
do). This is particularly annoying on changelogs.

Anyways, this is a huge issue for me, since most the time when I make
a change, its followed by a cherry-pick operation.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |