sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSL 0.9.8 upgrade suggestion

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSL 0.9.8 upgrade suggestion
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:00:23 -0700

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 08:20:49PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:
>
> >The "until the `cast --queue' operation is over" part is difficult when
> >we throw in that people like to break in the middle and/or ctrl-c, or
> >that stuff simply breaks sometimes. Otherwise it would be a bit
> >cleaner/faster than watching where binaries and libraries are linked for
> >every spell.
>
> Unless some blockers are discovered, these "legitimate aliens" are OK to
> keep
> until next cleanse, whenever it happens. Cleanse may refuse to remove such
> aliens until the cast queue is empty. What I really like is that
> possibility of
> having this kind of "aliens."

I suppose we could wait until cleanse to clean them up -- that lets
people break or ctrl-c, etc. Waiting until the queue is empty seems
prone to error. I think with a bit more intelligent cleanse we don't
even need to wait for the queue to be empty (since we're keeping link
logs anyways in either your proposal or mine unless you want to do this
without link logs at all, which would be less automatic and artificially
intelligent, I would think, unless you want to add some ideas I'm not
thinking of).

Perhaps we can have an option in sorcery to turn on and off automatic
staged library cleansing, called STAGED_LINK_CLEAN. I'll call these
"staged libraries", and "gaze staged" would be how we could examing
these aliens and "gaze link" would be how we can analyze the spell
links.

I propose it work like this:

a) "link" log creation per spell near md5sum log creation

b) dispel prevented from clearing stuff out that are referred to in
other (but not the current) spell link logs. dispel would log these
"prevented dispels" in a "staging" log, stored per spell.

c) either:

i) cleanup immediately after link log creation (STAGED_LINK_CLEAN)

1) check the difference between old link log and new link log,
then for each link target no longer needed, check each link log
for removed target, and if none are found in any other link log,
remove link target from all staging logs and delete file if it
still exists.

ii) cleanup during cleanse --links (can be done at any time)

for each spell, check each staging log for references in all spell
link logs, and if none exist, remove file from staging log and
delete file if it still exists.

That's the way I envision it, at least.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733