sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSL 0.9.8 upgrade suggestion

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSL 0.9.8 upgrade suggestion
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:49:28 -0700

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 06:01:23PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:
>
> >I replied to your blog, but talking it over with Andrew made me
> >realize the problem was probably caused initially by underspecified
> >dependencies which caused our full-tree dependency analysis to be
> >incomplete, thus wrong, thus leading to upgrade breakage.
>
> The solution I suggest here is to give people a workable system during
> the time they recompile stuff (and maybe longer if something else goes
> wrong and recast stops in the middle of the queue), which would be
> hours for many of the users. I'm not trying to circumvent or improve a
> dependency system.

Perhaps we can make a general fix, see below.

> >What actually cast too soon (or too late) on your system for the
> >double upgrades to not work?
> >
> >Can you send a portion of the activity log to a bug report and cc me
> >on it?
>
> Maybe, if I recover the drive. One can play with factors like wget
> dependency on openssl (pointed by Andrew),

We've fixed this problem by building a temporary wget inside openssl
compile It keeps wget working during openssl. The other option, which
is similar to yours, was to keep the old openssl binary around for a
little bit until everything's recompiled to the new one.

When Andrew and I discussed this issue before, I didn't really have
anything fleshed out like your spell idea, but I'd still like to see it
generalized.

I don't think we need to make it a special spell -- if we're going to
fix it for this openssl issue, we could make sorcery smarter by keeping
an index of what's linked to what (similar to what I pointed out in your
blog) and have sorcery not dispel that libary until the index of what's
linked to what sees that openssl 0.9.7 is no longer needed, and then,
when it does see that it's no longer needed, have it automatically
removed.

A kind of temporary alien store until the libraries are no longer
useful.

We'd have to add "gaze visa" to gaze alien just so people can see what's
lurking around. cleanse --fix would then not just check against what
links or doesn't link, it would check to see what links to a visa'd
alien file and then rebuild it.

Seth

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733