sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSL 0.9.8 upgrade suggestion

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSL 0.9.8 upgrade suggestion
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 16:48:59 -0700

The "until the `cast --queue' operation is over" part is difficult when
we throw in that people like to break in the middle and/or ctrl-c, or
that stuff simply breaks sometimes. Otherwise it would be a bit
cleaner/faster than watching where binaries and libraries are linked for
every spell.

cleanse --fix already does ldd analysis for every spell -- if we pulled
it into the same place that md5logs are made, we wouldn't lose much
speed, I think -- it would just be a lot smarter at a small cost.

Seth

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 07:42:23PM -0400, Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> This "alien store" is a nifty thing to have until the `cast --queue'
> operation
> is over. One way to do this is to install the new spell version without
> removing the old one (fake dispel), and "subtract" install logs to figure
> out
> which files have to go to ultimately remove the old version. In this case,
> libcrypto.so link would be overwritten by a new link, but libcrypto-0.9.7.so
> would stay until the whole queue was cast. Only then those "legitimate
> aliens"
> would be removed by `cleanse --fix' at the very end.
> Two optimizations that I see are: (1) only do "fake dispel" for stuff in
> /usr/lib, so that files in /usr/{bin,include} are removed at once; (2) make
> "fake dispel" disabled by default, and only enable it for selected few
> spells.
>
> Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:
>
> >A kind of temporary alien store until the libraries are no longer
> >useful.

Quality Assurance Team Leader & Security Team: Source Mage GNU/linux
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic http://www.sourcemage.org
Secretary Pacific Green Party of Oregon http://www.pacificgreens.org
Key id FDCEE733 = 5302 B414 64C4 6112 3454 E082 99F0 69DC FDCE E733