sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSL 0.9.8 upgrade suggestion

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] OpenSSL 0.9.8 upgrade suggestion
  • Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 18:01:23 -0400

Quoting Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>:

I replied to your blog, but talking it over with Andrew made me realize
the problem was probably caused initially by underspecified dependencies
which caused our full-tree dependency analysis to be incomplete, thus
wrong, thus leading to upgrade breakage.

The solution I suggest here is to give people a workable system during the time
they recompile stuff (and maybe longer if something else goes wrong and recast
stops in the middle of the queue), which would be hours for many of the users.
I'm not trying to circumvent or improve a dependency system.

What actually cast too soon (or too late) on your system for the double
upgrades to not work?

Can you send a portion of the activity log to a bug report and cc me on
it?

Maybe, if I recover the drive. One can play with factors like wget dependency on
openssl (pointed by Andrew), gnome-vfs2 incompatibility with samba (recently
fixed), spell compilations failing because /their/ dependents are missing
openssl (remember, cleanse --fix is only run after install queue is empty), and
maybe some other things, which combined may have a very bad effect.

P.S. Allowing a trigger to rebuild a spell using the tablet version of
the spell might be another workaround I don't think I mentioned in the
blog, preventing the double-upgrade issue, but again, we need to fix the
problem before adding a patch that doesn't really fix the core problem.

There are two problems here: recasting all dependents when shared object links
are broken (and doing it in the right order), and keeping the system
operational in the process (a few hours to a day). Dependency system deals with
the former (now with help of UP_TRIGGER file I guess), and I'm trying to think
of how to solve the latter.

If we do make openssl-0.9.7-so, it has to be cast /after/ openssl, so it must be
in TRIGGERS file of this hypothetical openssl-0.9.7-so spell I think. Contrary
to what I said earlier, openssl spell should not depend on openssl-0.9.7-so.

Sergey.