sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] detailed QA stable grimoire and ISO proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] detailed QA stable grimoire and ISO proposal
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 21:19:48 +0200

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 10:06:25AM -0700, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
[...]
> > > * Version updates that break apis shouldn't do too much damage here,
> > > but
> > > there's only so much we can do about that. This should be
> > > documented.
> > >
> > > * Any known issues about updating should be documented prior to the
> > > stable release and packages as "release notes".
> >
> > How and where should gurus put that information?
>
> In the bug. I'd like to do a bugzilla query to generate the release
> notes. All openish bugs on stable-rc grimoire would be used, and when
> stable-rc is made stable, somebody making the release notes would change
> all the stable-rc bugs to stable bugs. (bugs in old stable but fixed in
> test would already be marked fixed because we mark fixed in test
> grimoire; bugs in old stable but not fixed wouldn't need any changing
> either, as they would just be correctly versioned already).

What about updates without a bug? E.g. I update libmpeg2 knowing that
all spells using it will need to be recompiled due to an ABI change.
This doesn't happen often enough to warrant the onslaught of triggers
we'd need to prevent it. But it should be documented, so we need a way
to get that info to the people doing the actual stable grimoire
releases.
I'm not sure what the best option is here. One option would be a
text file in the spell describing such things, another would be filing
bugs on such updates explicitly and get those to the QA team.

http://www.sourcemage.org