sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] detailed QA stable grimoire and ISO proposal

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Seth Alan Woolley <seth AT positivism.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] detailed QA stable grimoire and ISO proposal
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 10:06:25 -0700

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 11:04:12AM +0200, Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 06:51:15PM -0700, Seth Alan Woolley wrote:
> > To get between test and stable grimoire, immediately after each stable
> > release, the test grimoire shall be immediately forked off into a
> > "stable-rc" grimoire. RC means "Release Candidate". Prometheus and
> > other testers should be testing stable-rc grimoire to make sure one can
> > update from stable to stable-rc safely and relatively painlessly. What
> > I mean about "painlessly" follows:
>
> Sounds good with the addition of the "integrate to stable" flag for
> bugzilla.

Yep.

> > * Version updates that break apis shouldn't do too much damage here,
> > but
> > there's only so much we can do about that. This should be documented.
> >
> > * Any known issues about updating should be documented prior to the
> > stable release and packages as "release notes".
>
> How and where should gurus put that information?

In the bug. I'd like to do a bugzilla query to generate the release
notes. All openish bugs on stable-rc grimoire would be used, and when
stable-rc is made stable, somebody making the release notes would change
all the stable-rc bugs to stable bugs. (bugs in old stable but fixed in
test would already be marked fixed because we mark fixed in test
grimoire; bugs in old stable but not fixed wouldn't need any changing
either, as they would just be correctly versioned already).

> > * All bugs that exist in stable-rc grimoire but not stable grimoire
> > should be fixed before release. If they show up afterwards, we must
> > either wait until the next release to fix that or if it is of a high
> > enough priority, they should be integrated into stable.
> >
> > * Disputes about what goes into stable are decided by any person I
> > delegate, myself, GL, and PL, in that order.
> >
> > If that's good enough, I'd like comments and volunteers for people to
> > run on prometheus on stable-rc grimoire when I've fixed it up a bit.
> >
> > === stable grimoire versioning ===
> >
> > To better track issues, the stable grimoire should have versions. They
> > will be done like so:
> >
> > There will be three parts to the stable grimoire version:
> >
> > * MAJOR VERSION: This shall be "0" at first, and changed only for
> > major ISO releases.
> >
> > * MINOR VERSION: This shall be incremented, starting at "0", for each
> > stable release between ISO releases.
> >
> > * REVISION: This shall be incremented whenever security updates or
> > major bugfixes are integrated into stable grimoire between QA
> > declares
> > the release official. It starts at zero.
> >
> > Each version number shall reset all inferior version numbers when they
> > are incremented.
> >
> > We will start at 0.0.0 stable release (I know, cool). When a security
> > update is applied, it shall be 0.0.1. When a stable-rc is made stable,
> > it will be 0.1.0, and a security update on that would be 0.1.1, and so
> > on, until the next ISO is released, which will make it 1.0.0.
> I like the idea of versioning the stable grimoire. Should we add those
> versions to bugzilla for the codex component so people can file bugs
> against specific releases?

Yep, that would be nice.