sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Games grimoire guidelines

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Games grimoire guidelines
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:25:39 -0800

Quoting "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>:

> On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 09:28:42AM -0800, Eric Sandall wrote:
>
> > There were a few other games that did that (I don't recall which ones),
> > but
> what
> > I did for the ones I fixed was modify either the Makefile or the source to
> use
> > the proper path.
>
> ok thx, I'll see about that.
> >
> > > Also I was wondering why we don't use the /usr/share path for the games
> > > like for all the other programs instead of using /usr/share/games ?
> > > Why do games need a special path, why do they have a special status?
> >
> > Probably to keep the games separate from "useful" programs? That's just
> > the
> way
> > it's always been, so we've kept with it, IIRC.
>
> I don't see any usefulness to that and I think it makes it harder to
> write spells. My point is, I thought smgl was trying to stick to the
> lfs and official *NIX stuff like that for its overall design and I don't
> think putting games in a game dir is in agreement with that, moreover it
> doesn't bring any improvement to me because I don't see the problem with
> games being "treated" as any other program.
>
> just my 2 cents...
>
> Mathieu.

We are following the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard v2.2[0]. Snippet[1]:
Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
5.7 /var/games : Variable game data (optional)

5.7.1 Purpose
Any variable data relating to games in /usr should be placed here. /var/games
should hold the variable data previously found in /usr; static data, such as
help text, level descriptions, and so on, must remain elsewhere, such as
/usr/share/games.
BEGIN RATIONALE

/var/games has been given a hierarchy of its own, rather than leaving it
merged
in with the old /var/lib as in release 1.2. The separation allows local
control
of backup strategies, permissions, and disk usage, as well as allowing
inter-host sharing and reducing clutter in /var/lib. Additionally, /var/games
is the path traditionally used by BSD.
END RATIONALE

See also /usr/share[2].

-sandalle