sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Games grimoire guidelines

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Eric Sandall <eric AT sandall.us>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Games grimoire guidelines
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 08:34:49 +1300

Eric Sandall wrote:
Quoting "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>:
<snip>

I'm also running into a path problem with vegastrike at the moment so
I'd like (from all of you) your suggstions as well about that:
it seems the --datadir= flag is broken in the vegastrike configure so when
I install the vegastrike data in /usr/share/games/vegastrike as it is
required by sourcemage standarts, then the game is unable to find the
data when launched and therefore fails (note that it finds the data if
I put them in /usr/share/vegastrike).
Any clue on how to solve that?

There were a few other games that did that (I don't recall which ones), but
what
I did for the ones I fixed was modify either the Makefile or the source to use
the proper path.

Also I was wondering why we don't use the /usr/share path for the games
like for all the other programs instead of using /usr/share/games ?
Why do games need a special path, why do they have a special status?

Probably to keep the games separate from "useful" programs? That's just the
way
it's always been, so we've kept with it, IIRC.
Can I ask why games are being installed somewhere different from where they are configured to be installed? I understand the change if it's not a standard place, but this can happen to any program, not just games, and in these cases we change them.

I wonder if we are just creating more work for the games maintainer. If you install a game or games library that depends on another game or games library to which you have changed the paths, then you'll have to modify/maintain this game to reflect those. If the maintainer doesn't have a intimate knowledge of a game, an optional dependency could be turned off during configure becasue the dependency is not in it's normal place and the maintainer did not know about this check. Installing things somewhere other than the default configuration can mean more bugs and debugging.

These are just a couple of senarios. I don't think we should create more work for ourselves. And I thinks everything should be classed as a program when installed.

Duane

Mathieu.

-sandalle