sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Games grimoire guidelines

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Mathieu L." <lejatorn AT smgl.homelinux.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Games grimoire guidelines
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:48:56 +0100

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 10:07:18AM +0100, Andrew ruskie Levstik wrote:
> OK here goes it:
>

> I was thinking something about games and it dawned on me that some sort of
> versions should be available since some games break or branch out under the
> same name
> and the old ones are still playable and updated...
> So I came up with a little idea...
> Well not my idea really just a swipe from all various source based pkg
> managers.
> Simply we install the game into it's own dir in
> /usr/share/games/$SPELL-$VERSION
> and then link the binaries into /usr/games or make launcher scripts(which I
> would prefer)
> For this to happen there would be need to modify some paths but it should
> work.
> The reason is that atm bzflag1 is still being played a lot
> while there is already a bzflag2 version out there. I plan to split this
> spell into a bzflag and a bzflag2 spell which don't conflict with eachother.
>

> Comments, suggestions, questions just reply here... /dev/flames > /dev/null

I'm also running into a path problem with vegastrike at the moment so
I'd like (from all of you) your suggstions as well about that:
it seems the --datadir= flag is broken in the vegastrike configure so when
I install the vegastrike data in /usr/share/games/vegastrike as it is
required by sourcemage standarts, then the game is unable to find the
data when launched and therefore fails (note that it finds the data if
I put them in /usr/share/vegastrike).
Any clue on how to solve that?

Also I was wondering why we don't use the /usr/share path for the games
like for all the other programs instead of using /usr/share/games ?
Why do games need a special path, why do they have a special status?

Mathieu.

--
We are Microsoft. Linux is irrelevant.
Openness is futile. Prepare to be assimilated.