sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] distributed/peer-to-peer mirroring

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] distributed/peer-to-peer mirroring
  • Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 11:21:18 +1300

I don't know much about it but it sounds like a good idea. My laptop won't be on 24hours and I only have broadband till December. But I'd like to try it int he meantime.

Duane

Karsten Behrmann wrote:
Hey all!
Just wanted to bring this up again, it was on the list years ago, IIRC.
The basic idea is that everyone willing runs an ftp server on their
/var/spool/sorcery, giving us a huge network of mirrors.

You could download a file that's outdated without any trouble, It'll
stick around for a bit.
Also, you could download a large file in parts from different servers,
using all your available bandwidth for a change.

What's the count on people interested?
Who could run a central server for round-robin?
Maybe we can get this thing running this time!
So Far,
Karsten Behrmann