sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] expectations of users

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT optimaltec.com>
  • To: Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] expectations of users
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 23:33:05 -0500

I'm against requiring users to dig into sorcery and grimoire files in order to get things to work. The system must simply work. If they want to tweak, that's fine, but it must not be a necessity. Other than that, I don't know if sysadmins or newbies are our community 'cause I happen not to be on IRC most of the time. I do think both of these groups are good in their own way.

Sergey.

Hamish Greig wrote:

Realistically how much can we expect SMGL users to know ?
if a person has been a user for 18 months or more is it wrong to expect them to have learned to use basic *nix tools in that time and to be capable of following simple instructions with respect to adding configure switches in BUILD files etc ?
I had always thought if you didn't want to learn these things you would be better off using redhat or some other binary/preconfigured distro.
Am I wrong ?
Is our long term goal to make SMGL completely foolproof for the inexperienced users ? or is a minimum of experience required/expected ?