sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] expectations of users

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Terry Ross <terry AT timestorm.ross.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] expectations of users
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 20:15:37 -0800

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 14:20:18 +1100
Hamish Greig <hgreig AT bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 13:15, Duane Malcolm wrote:
> > Maybe a set of tutorials that encompases the required knowledge. This
> > would be a positive step. It would also be more friendly to direct them
> > to the tutorials.
> >
> > I'm still learning and it has been from doing that I've learnt.
> >
> > Duane
>
> Good point, does anyone know of any good online tutorials ?
> I have learnt from doing also, but there is nothing wrong with booklearning.
> I think it would be a positive step to *suggest* new users fulfill these
> *requirements* or at the least are willing to spend the time to learn them
> (you can be ignorant, but lazy and ignorant is a bad combination).
>
> I think we should highlight this also.
> Support is only support, it isn't a warranty or a guarantee. We don't have
> any
> responsibility to make your problems automagically go away, you should be
> prepared to work with us on problems, don't expect to be lead by the hand
> for
> all eternity.
> Don't get me wrong I intend to fix as many problems as I can to make this a
> stable distro, I just don't want to be sidetracked helping people with the
> basics anymore.
> Hamish

Well, as a start, there's a nice Alphabetical Directory of Linux Commands at
http://www.onlamp.com/linux/cmd/

There's a nice tutorial on using the shell and writing shell scripts at
http://linuxcommand.org/

I have a number of ebooks up on my server at http://linux.aliboom.com - there
are many more that are Linux related at http://tldp.org/ - but I have many
general computer and other ebooks.

In addition, people should feel free to add questions (SMGL, bash, filesystem
hierarchy, etc.) to tb on #smgl-newbies, that way we can have a form of
online flashcards for training.

Terry

--
Terry Ross | qnr | <terry AT aliboom.com> | http://linux.aliboom.com
GnuPG Key fingerprint = AC11 C1C3 0371 D4E6 50CD 1285 D041 AD9F 68C4 06C2